Community

Michigan Natural Resources Trust Fund board recommends $27.3 million to boost outdoor recreation

The Michigan Natural Resources Trust Fund Board recommended Wednesday to the Michigan Legislature that 53 recreation development projects and land acquisitions totaling $27,339,100 be funded in 2024. The board this year considered a total of 123 applications seeking over $51.9 million in funding.
Read MoreMichigan Natural Resources Trust Fund board recommends $27.3 million to boost outdoor recreation

Grand Giveway

Don’t forget to bring your Alger County receipts into the Alger County Chamber of Commerce/Greater Munising Bay Partnership @ 129 E. Munising Ave. (across from Subway) now through next Thursday, Dec. 14th. Whether it’s gas, groceries, restaurants, retail, etc., save those receipts. Prizes are awarded daily (M-F) so the more you enter, the more chances you have to win! Also, if you happen to win a daily prize, your name gets put back into the drawing for the grand prize which is the snowblower. Over $7,000 worth of prizes will be given away. Our office is open M-F from 8-4. Thank you to our sponsors and remember to shop local!
Read MoreGrand Giveway

This week in History

100 Years Ago – the Munising News – December 14th, 1923 Santa Will Not Forget the Poor The Welfare Committee of The Woman’s Club has been in touch with Kris Kringle this holiday season, making sure that Santa Claus is not going to forget any Munising boy or girl this Christmas eve. The club canvassed the city and has found over 50 children who were not on Santa’s list. Through the efforts of the Club, this condition is to be transformed. Every last one of these children is to receive a stocking filled with toys and goodies this Christmas.
Read MoreThis week in History

From the Pulput: Christmas

A grandmother is giving directions to her grown grandson who is coming to visit with his wife for Christmas: “You come to the front door of the apartment complex. I am in apartment 14T. “There is a big panel at the front door. With your elbow push button 14T. “I will buzz you in. Come inside, the elevator is on the right. “Get in, and with your elbow hit 14. “When you get out I am on the left. With your elbow, hit my doorbell.” “Grandma, that sounds easy, but why am I hitting all these buttons with my elbow”? After a loud gasp she whispered…”You’re coming empty handed?”
Read MoreFrom the Pulput: Christmas

Great Lakes Endurance Announces 2023 Trail Run Events

The 2024 Great Lakes Endurance trail running events in Munsing are now open for online registration (www.greatlakesendurance. com). The Rock River Canyon Trail Run will take place on Saturday, June 8. This event includes both 27K and 50K distances. The course features abundant single track on the North Country Trail in the Hiawatha National Forest south of Munising. Races start and finish at the Valley Spur Lodge. The 50K course travels westward to the Rock River Wilderness and back. The race had its inaugural in 2019 and has received top reviews from ultra runners from throughout the Midwest. “This course features highly runable single track through quiet, pristine forests - this is what runners tell us they like about the event,” noted race director Jeff Crumbaugh. The Grand Island Trail Run will take place on July 27. Now in its 24th year, the event features a 50K, a marathon and a half marathon. Every summer it attracts runners from nearly 40 states, Canada and Europe. The course treats runners to world class vistas from Grand Island’s cliffs and beaches. “The 50K has been growing and this year may become the most popular of the three distances, but what all runners enjoy is a swim in Lake Superior after finishing. Runners keep running the extra 50 yards to the beach and into the lake,” said Crumbaugh. Registration for the Grand Island Trail Run usually reaches its capacity in early May. Registration is available on the Great Lakes Endurance website: https:// greatlakesendurance.com.
Read MoreGreat Lakes Endurance Announces 2023 Trail Run Events